2021: freedom and security!
I recently decided that I would dedicate my 2021 spare time towards freedom and security.
This will include things like:
- Relying less on third parties who dont respect privacy
- Switching from Linux to FreeBSD
- Aiming to be more self sufficient regarding food production
These are a few examples, as I have many ideas and slowly started working on them in the pasts months.
One thing I realised in while changing my habits, is the domino effect they have:
- Switching to FreeBSD made me change filesystems, which in turn changed both the ways I encrypt and backup my data.
- This switch also broke a lot of my script, which are relying on the GNU tools.
- Some of these scripts also run on raspberry pi - but those run raspbian! Do I install FreeBSD on the pi and maintain one stack of tools - or do I keep linux and maintain two stack of tools?
- - If I keep the pi on debian, my backup architecture will become a hell between rsync/unison and zfs snapshots
- - If I install FreeBSD on the pi, the I will need to rewrite all specific domotic scripts
I will make a few posts about what I decide/implement regarding those concepts (and why).
Less is more